Masala Chai is becoming more and more popular in many parts of the world. It is a spiced tea made with an aromatic blend of whole spices called “Masala Chai Powder”. It is usually added to tea made with hot milk making the tea more flavoursome and fragrant. This is a very popular hot beverage in most Indian household, usually referred to as Masala Chai.
Just like most spice mix blend, everyone has their very own take on making masala chai powder in terms of the balance of the spices used. Although using the same ingredients, however the spices mix may be different depending on individual taste and preferences. For instance some may add more cardamom, less nutmeg, more ginger less peppercorn, so on and so forth.
A Chai or Masala Chai can become one of the best companion that provides comfort in almost all circumstances. Being it a cold winter’s day to keep you warm, curing anything from a runny nose to cold and flu. Masala chai is high has a lot of medicinal benefits. So here I share the detailed recipe to make the best homemade tea masala. To enjoy a perfect Masala Chai, you definitely need a good Chai Masala Powder recipe.
- ½ cup green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- ¼ cup cloves
- 3 Tbs black peppercorns
- 1 large piece of cinnamon stick
- 3 Tbs dry powdered ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbs fennel seeds
- Break the cinnamon stick into pieces, add the rest of the spices and dry roast all in a pan except for the powdered spices.
- While still warm, grind the roasted spices to fine powder. You can sieve the ground spices and to obtain only the finer ground powder.
- Store in an airtight jar.
- Use in your tea or coffee latte.