Making banana cake is nothing unusual in my kitchen, as I always say over-ripe bananas never goes to waste in Brinda’s Kitchen. So here I have this, super easy, quick new recipe. These moreish banana muffins with added Pecan nuts and seeds for an easy breakfast or a snack on the go. . For those who know me, I like to add nuts to my food, this time it was also an addition of seeds to make these muffin even more wholesome. I usually make banana fritters or banana loaf, but this time I wanted to make something even quicker, and that for many reasons. Firstly I had few soft over-ripe bananas, yoghurt, eggs that needed to be used up. so I have created this recipe, as simple as it can get, all mixed in one bowl, bake and ready in 30 minutes.
See my note below for an egg free version and butter substitute.
- 2 large ripe bananas or 4 small ones (mashed)
- 200 grams self-raising flour
- 75gms unsalted butter (melted)
- 100 grams castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2Tbs plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- Pinch of salt
- 50 gms Pecan nuts (optional) – roughly chopped, reserve a few for later
- 1tsp poppy seeds (optional)
- 1-2 Tbs pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven 180 C. Prepare 12 muffin paper cases on a baking tray.
- Peel and mash the bananas, leave on the side whole you get the rest of the ingredients together.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt in a large missing bowl.
- Add the sugar, using a hand whisk, whisk all the dry ingredients well.
- In a separate bowl mix the melted butter, eggs, mashed bananas and yoghurt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Using the whisk mix and fold in all the ingredients well. Please do not do not over mix.
- Fold in the chopped pecan nuts, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds (if using these ingredients).
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases. Top with pecan halves.
- Bake for 20-25 mins, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy.
Brinda’s Note: For an egg free version, substitute the eggs by adding more yoghurt. Melted butter can also be substituted with 2 Tbs oil.