For a deliciously decadent treat, re-invent store bought puff pastry with sweet almond paste to make fresh home-made almond croissants. Flaky, tasty, sweet almond puff pastry croissants perfect breakfast treat…
Ingredients Makes 10
- 1 packet ready roll puff pastry
- 1/2 cup ground almond
- 2 tablespoons milk and extra to paint over the pre-cooked croissants
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, reserve some to sprinkle over the croissant
- 2-3 Tbs castor sugar
- 2 Tbs powdered sugar for dusting
- 1 egg (optional)
- Prepare the almond filling; simply place the ground and sliced almond, castor sugar and 2Tbs liquid milk in a bowl. Mix into a paste, set aside.
- Place your ready roll pastry on a lightly floured surface. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough diagonally to make about 10 triangles. Pull the tip of each triangle taut, spread a small spoonful of almond paste on each triangle, and then roll the croissants up from the base curving the ends slightly to make a crescent shape. Arrange each finished croissant on a lightly greased baking sheet with at least 1 1/2 inches between each pastry.
- Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. If using egg, whisk the egg and 2 tablespoons milk together to make an egg wash. Alternatively brush with some liquid milk across the surface of each pastry and then sprinkle them with the sliced almonds.
- Bake the croissants for 14 to 16 minutes, until they are puffed and golden brown and the almonds are toasted. Sprinkle the powdered sugar over the tops of the warm croissants.
Brinda’s Note: You can prepare them the night before leave in the fridge and bake them fresh in the morning. These will keep well in the freezer for at least 1 week .