Comfort food with a bowl of Homemade Potato Chips is a dream – so fulfilling and so tasty. In this recipe I have fried the crisps but if you are worried about calories you can even bake them. However, quite honestly these do not absorb so much oil and once in a while a little indulgence is acceptable. As many of you in Mauritius would relate to this simple dish we call “pomme de terre frire” to accompany a dhal, lentils with a plate of other vegetable dishes or how about a watercress soup “bouillon” and coconut chutney…… Just the way I like to enjoy these crisps. And such things it’s best to eat with your fingers. Yummmmm
On an Autumnal afternoon, I can feel winter is approaching fast and I can only think of comfort food and all snuggled up. So I share these crunchy bowl of fresh homemade chips….
Ingredients Serves 2
- 2 large potatoes, peeled
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Salt and black pepper
- Smoked Paprika salt
- Peel and wash the potatoes. Using a mandoline, or vegetable slicer finely slice the potatoes into very thin slices.
- Put the sliced potatoes into a bowl of water. This will prevent the potatoes from going brown while also remove any excess starch.
- Place a deep heavy pan on the hob, add oil and turn heat on, leave to heat until quite hot. Meanwhile drain the potato and blot dry thoroughly in a kitchen towel or paper towel.
- When the oil is hot enough, carefully start by deep frying the potatoes in batches.
- Using a large spatula keep turning the potatoes because they will fry very quickly. As they turn brown and crisp on the edges (usually takes about 4-5 minutes), remove with a slotted spoon and place on a kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle with lots of freshly ground black pepper and paprika salt. Serve hot and enjoy these delicious crispy homemade crisps. Here served with fresh coriander.