Fancy twisted cheese straws/breadsticks have a go at these crunchy, buttery, cheesy straws. These cheese straws are super-easy as it uses ready roll puff pastry. They make a lovely snack you can munch anytime of the day and they are great little nibble with a drink. You can vary the flavour; together with the cheese you can add other flavours with many possibilities for variation. I leave it to your imagination to experiment.
Ingredients Makes 12 straws
- 1 sheet ready roll puff pastry
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Dried thyme (optional)
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Olive oil
- Milk to paint before baking
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sh3et.
- On a lightly floured surface unfold the puff pastry sheet. Brush top of puff pastry dough with olive oil. Season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle the sheet with the grated Cheddar, Parmesan cheeses (reserve 1Tbs), herbs, seasonings onto the oiled surface dough enough to cover the surface.
- Using your hand or a rolling pin press cheese and seasonings firmly into the dough.
- Use a sharp knife cut the dough cut lengthwise approximately 3” wide into strips (you may get about 12 strips).
- Now to twist place it seasoned side down on the work surface, and twist from both ends (see picture below)
- Place the twisted strips onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Using a paint brush, brush with some milk on the strips. Sprinkle with the reserved Parmesan cheese over the sticks.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes; turn each straw halfway and continue baking until breadsticks are browned and crisp.
- Once golden remove from the oven, cool on a wire rack before serving.
- Store in an air tight jar.
Brinda’s Note: These will keep well in an airtight jar. Get your kids involved in making these delicious snacks.