Cumin Potatoes (Jeera Potatoes)
I love making this dish, it’s so easy and flavoursome. It can be made in very little time, and also a good way to use leftover boiled potatoes. The fried whole cumin seeds have a unique slightly nutty flavour. I like these delicious potatoes wrapped in either chapati or pharata or simply with boiled rice. Alternatively it makes a great accompaniment with roast meat or fish. A great vegetarian, vegan dish to please many. Perfect side dish…
Ingredients Serves 4-6 Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
- 250gms potatoes
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1tsp ghee
- 1 medium onion finely sliced
- 1tsp roasted cumin seeds
- Pinch of mustard seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Curry leaves 4-5 fresh leaves
- 1 Tbs garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Fresh chopped coriander
- 1 green chilli – finely chopped (optional)
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes in cubes, if using new potatoes you may leave skin on if you prefer.
- Place the cubed potatoes in a microwave steamer, add a little salt sprinkle with some water and steam in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. (Alternatively you may bring the potatoes to a boil in water and a pinch of salt. Cover and let boil for 5-8 minutes until just cooked).
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add the sliced onion fry, followed by the curry leaves, cumin seeds, garam masala and fry 30-60 seconds.
- Add the turmeric powder; stir fry for 1-2 minutes, taking care the spices don’t burn. At this point if the spice mixture is too dry add some water to create some steam.
- Add the half cooked potatoes, shake pan and fry potatoes about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until evenly golden and crisp. (The trick is not to stir too frequently; otherwise the potatoes will get mushy). Taste for seasoning.
- Remove from the heat, drizzle ghee on top and stir in the fresh coriander, chopped green chilli and fried onion..
Brinda’s Note: Adding ghee is one of my mum’s tips, only by simply adding some ghee at the end of most vegetarian dish enhances the flavour. Who can deny a mother’s tip on cooking especially when she is a wonderful cook. XXXX