Today I want to share a super simple chicken stir fry recipe with a delicious sauce – black bean sauce. This dish is very popular in most Chinese cuisine, stir-fried dishes with black bean sauce is very much a favourite. I will highlight the fact that the black beans is homemade therefore you can take full control of how much or how little you wish to add to the dish in order to make a well-balanced preparations to suit your taste.
Readymade “black bean sauce” is ok, I say this with hesitation!!! Once you have tried the home prepare black beans sauce I can almost guarantee you would not want the shop bought paste/sauce. (See my note below on how to prepare your black beans sauce).
Ingredients Serves 4-6
- 1 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1Tbs vegetable oil
- 1Tbs sesame oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs teriyaki sauce
- Seasoning soya sauce
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- Ginger thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons homemade black bean sauce
- 4 tsp cornflour
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- 1 ½ Tbs dark soy sauce
- Marinate the chicken pieces in the teriyaki sauce, pepper and garlic in medium bowl.
- Set aside or refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in wok or heavy large skillet over high heat. Add onion, sliced ginger and black bean paste and leave to fry for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped pepper stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Add chicken in the pan spreading them apart to separate them, using a spatula toss the chicken until cooked through and brown.
- Mix the cornflour with 3 tbsp of water and add it to the wok. Cook for another 2 -3 minutes until the sauce thickens, add more salt and pepper if required.
- Before turning the heat off add the sesame oil, chopped coriander, spring onion and stir.
- Serve over steamed rice.
Brinda’s Note: How to make homemade black bean paste:-
- Fermented black bean (salted black beans, can be found in most Chinese grocery stores)
- Few cloves of garlic finely chopped
- Stem of ginger finely chopped
- 3-4 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- Star by washing the fermented black bean in cold running water, drain and set aside.
- In a wok add oil turn heat one, add the chopped garlic, ginger followed by the washed and drained black beans. On low heat leave to fry gently stirring regularly to prevent sticking and burning.
- Add soya sauce combine well. Remove from heat leave to cool down.
- Transfer to airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.