Curly Kale Minestrone
This is a delicious comforting dish – perfect for a cold autumn or winter’s day. Accompanied with crusty bread it a very nutritious and healthy meal. Can be prepared the day before.
Ingredients Serves 2-4
- 300 grams Curly Kale
- 1 tin Bortolli beans or Canenolli beans – drain the water and rinse
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 medium size onion – chopped
- 2 carrots – chopped
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbs tomato puree
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Fresh thyme
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 garlic crushed
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin oil or Truffle oil (Optional)
- 100 gms pancetta (optional, opt out if doing vegetarian version)
- Heat the oil in a large pan add the chopped celery, onion. Leave to fry on gentle heat. (If using pancetta put in a dry pan and leave to fry slowly until crispy) Add the carrots, stir, add the cumin, cinnamon, garlic and season with salt.
- Add the tomato puree, chopped tomato and thyme, stir and leave to gently cook away until reduced to half.
- While this is happening, place the curly kale in a bowl of salted hot water and leave to blanch for at least 3-4 minutes. Drain and set aside
- Add the beans in the tomato sauce, cook for another 10 minutes until all the ingredients have merged into the sauce.
- Add the blanched curly kale to the mixture. Taste for seasoning and leave to cook for another 5 minutes until the green have softened.
- Serve with crusty bread drizzled with extra virgin olive oil or truffle oil.
Brinda’s Note: This makes a perfect vegetarian meal, but for a non-vegetarian version you can add pancetta or bacon to the soup.