Who can say No to a “Zasar Legumes”. A very popular vegetable pickle with a medley of colours all in one dish. My version is quite simple and quick, it is one that will keep for a few days in the fridge. I don’t overcook my vegetable simple blanche them and add the pickling ingredients to the vegetables. This is a very popular dish in Mauritius served with crusty bread and a perfect vegetarian side dish – spices, vegetable, chillies, fresh taste and colorful little side accompaniments stocked up in the fridge.
- Carrots – peeled thinly cut into strips
- Cabbage cut thinly
- Few green chillies – sliced
- Green beans – thinly sliced
- Few shallot slices legthwise.
- Oil – 4 tbsp plus extra to drizzle on top 1 Tbs mustard seeds – coarsely ground
- ½ Tbs turmeric powder (I use the Vindaye mix spices)
- Curry leaves – finely chopped 1 tsp fenugreek/ Methi seeds (toasted and ground) Pinch of Asafoedida (hing)
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder – to add both the heat and colour
- Lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- Salt – for the pickling and for the spices.
- Prepare all the vegetables as suggested above.
- Start by blanching (Blanching means put it hot water for a few minutes until they soften) u them one at a time, starting with carrot, beans followed by cabbage. The reason to do this is simply to semi-cook the vegetable and this helps with the preserving process.
- Remove from the water drain in a large colander to remove all the water.
- Spread all the drained vegetable on a clean cloth or kitchen towel and leave to dry removing any excess water. Occasionally using a fork spread the vegetable to allow all the vegetable to air dry.
- Once all excess water have been absorbed on the tea towel start preparing the spices.
- In a wide pan add oil, once it’s hot add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, Asafoedida, ground fenugreek, turmeric and salt followed by the Kashmir red chilli – the aroma will be intense watch out for the chilli smoke. Add the sliced onions.
- Turn the heat down or switch off and start to add the vegetables toss well to make sure the spices coat all the vegetables are well mixed.
- Add the vinegar and the green sliced chillies, taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Leave to cool completely. drizzle a little oil. Enjoy with fresh bread. Bon Appetit.