Many people see Aloe Vera and think medicine, exactly what I used to think. But my father was a big fan of this humble gel, which we grew in our home garden in Mauritius. As I am writing this I can almost hear my papa whispering…..as my “pa” called it “Ayur Vera” instead of Aloe Vera, we never asked him why…. maybe he thought of Ayurvedic medicine, I don’t know. But he said it with a fine tuning tone in his voice, many of you who knew my papa will relate to this……..and know exactly what I mean.
I’ve recently come to love Aloe Vera drinks as I find that it has all the natural health benefits. Aloe Vera is crisp and refreshing in flavour, perfect for a Summer afternoon. I wanted to keep it simple by making my own refreshing drink. As I love the taste of lime and mint, I decided to put them together with my other favourite, Aloe Vera. With a handful of ice I had a cold and healthy drink to enjoy! There is one for you to try, and I bet you will not be disappointed. This is great to serve anytime in the day Aloe Vera gel and mint leaves floating inside the glass will be a real eye catcher.
Ingredients Serves 2
- 450mls chilled Aloe Vera juice
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2-3 tsp castor sugar ( as this will dissolve quicker)
- Crushed ice
- 2 sprigs of mint leaves – keep a few to decorate your drink
- 2 slices of lime
- Put the mint leaves into a tall glass or flute add the sugar. Gently crush the leaves with a spoon with the sugar. Add the crushed ice.
- Fill the glass with Aloe Vera juice. Stir gently and dress with a couple whole fresh mint leaves and slice of fresh lime.
As simple as that, enjoy this refreshing healthy drink……….