In celebration of Mauritius Independence Day
I have been inspired by the beautiful colours of the Mauritian flag to bake my Rainbow Sponge Rolls…..But before we start baking lets spare some moments to reflect on why we are here today.
As Mauritius celebrates its 48th anniversary of independence, the day also marks the 24rd anniversary of the Mauritian republic, from Independence to Republic our colourful flag of independence has remained the same.
Four-striped red over blue over yellow over green.
- Red reflects independence
- Blue for the colour of the Indian Ocean
- Yellow symbolizes a bright future
- Green represents the lush vegetation of the island.
There is something deeply heartening about how we got our independence; it is the tale of our great fathers who suffered slavery, indentured labour and colonial rule, and fought for independence, overcoming the odds that came in the way of a life of fulfillment and dignity. The people, whose roots are in Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, China and Africa feel an ‘umbilical’ connect with Asia & Africa. As the new generation we can only salute all our people who worked together to build our beautiful nation and made our treasured Island free from outside rulers.
Ingredients Serves 6-8
- 6 free-range eggs
- 150g/6oz golden castor sugar
- 150g/6oz self-raising flour
- Food colouring – red, blue, yellow, green
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Mixture of desiccated coconut, finely chopped nuts (please note this is optional)
For the filling:
- 150g/3oz strawberry jam
- 250ml/9fl oz whipped double
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.Grease and line four 23cm x 30cm/9in x 12in Swiss roll tins. If you don’t have four tins (like me) you can bake them one at a time or bake in a larger tray and spread the mixture as illustrated in my picture below.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar in a bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Fold in the flour. Separate the mixture into four equal quantities in four mixing bowls.
- Now add the food colourings in each sponge mixture and carefully mix, (taking care not to overwork the mixture).
- Spoon the mixture into the tins.
- Bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes, or until light and springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and turn the sponge out onto another piece of greaseproof paper.
- For the filling, place the red sponge on a greaseproof paper spread the jam onto the sponge and then spread with the cream, leaving a small gap around the edges.
- Repeat this by now placing the blue sponge, then yellow and lastly the green sponge until you have layered all the sponge on top of each other.
- Now you’re ready to roll! Push the paper towards you and ease the sponge over the filling. Roll all the way to the end then turn over to seal the filling.
- Use the paper to keep the roll tight, I find it best to the take the paper between your index finger and thumb, and use the rest of your fingers to push the roll over.
- Leave the roll with the seam side down to cool. If you are adding the coconut and nuts mixture, sprinkle the mixture on the grease proof paper and roll the sponge gently so the mixture sticks to the sponge.
- Dust with a little caster sugar or icing sugar and serve.
- Cut the sponge into little rolls.
Our National Anthem:- Sing with Pride
- Glory to thee, Motherland, O motherland of mine.
- Sweet is thy beauty, Sweet is thy fragrance.
- Around thee we gather As one people, As one nation, In peace, justice and liberty. Beloved country, may God bless thee For ever and ever.
To celebrate Mauritius Independence day indulge yourself into a delicious scrummy rainbow sponge roll.. Happy Republic Day to All xxxxxxx