A sweet flan is one impressive dessert that always wows the guests. A delicious sweet custard flan that in my opinion everyone will love. With a good drizzle of caramel sauce that oozes from the bottom and spread all over the flan, giving that glossy golden outer layer of sweet slightly burnt toffee goodness.
This is a quick and easy baked flan recipe, put together in no time. It is great served warm or cold with a good spoonful of the caramel sugar on top.
Flan has always been one of my mother’s favourite desserts. At every family get together or special occasions, mum first choice of dessert would be a flan. And we used to say “oh no not again!!!”, but quite honestly it remains one of the favourite sweets, one that disappears very quickly.
As it is my mama’s birthday today, I share one of mama’s favourites. Wishing you a very happy birthday “Ma”. Wish we were with you on your special day but you remain closer to us all in our hearts, and we know every day is special for you because you spread your love to all those who surrounds you.
To add to this decadent dessert, I have added one fruits that is in abundance in my mama’s home garden in Mauritius. Passion fruits served here with passionate love of a Flan.
Ingredients Serves 4
- 3 eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 500 – 600mls liquid milk (you can use half evaporated & half condensed milk)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Passion fruit coulis (optional) – made by dissolving some sugar in fresh passion fruit and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt sugar until it has dissolved and is golden in colour. Carefully pour hot caramel syrup into a 23cm round glass baking dish, turning the dish to evenly coat the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Mix in the milk, sugar, vanilla essence and eggs. Whisk all together.
- Pour egg mixture into baking dish. Cover with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven 50-60 minutes or until the custard mixture is fairly set. (Alternatively you can cook this in a bain-marie.)
- Leave to cool completely. Refrigerate overnight. To unmold, run a knife around edges and invert onto a large rimmed serving platter. Carefully turn the flan out onto a dessert plate. Pour any of the caramel sauce that’s in the bottom of the dish over the top.